If you can justify your status as a tenant and not a tenant or tenant, you are subject to the Residential Tenancy Act and you may wish to take legal action against the landlord. For more information, see When the Owner is in breach of the Agreement. The tenant is a person who pays the rent and in return obtains the right to occupy a dwelling house, whether it is exclusive or not, as long as he is not a tenant or tenant. A tenant has more exclusive ownership than a retiree or tenant. However, if a tenant asserts a right under the Housing Act and the court decides that the tenant is a tenant or tenant, their application is rejected. If you do not use a rental contract, you can benefit from a general pension or accommodation contract. In this situation, if a problem arises, it will usually be much more difficult to assert your rights in court or court. This would be both costly and tedious, especially given the often small amounts of money that we are talking about. If you live in a room and pay rent to the principal tenant as a tenant, the principal tenant still needs the landlord`s consent. However, they will not have exclusive ownership of part of the house. Another option is to continue your action independently of the court, since it is up to another party at the hearing to ask whether the person is indeed a referring judge and a tenant, and prove it to the court on the balance of probabilities. A boarder is someone who is not only a tenant, but also receives meals.

You are probably more tenant than tenant if you: It is NOT necessarily the same as a lease. For more information, please see Chapter 2.08 The Lease Agreement. Boarders and tenants are NOT protected by the Residential Tenancies Act (1987). If you rent all or part of a home from an existing or principal tenant, the principal tenant must have obtained the landlord`s consent before moving in. If this is the case, it depends on the agreement between you and the principal tenant, whether you are a tenant or a tenant. It is not necessary to have a formal written legal agreement with your boarder, but specifying what the boarder can expect in the agreement and offering a reference point in case of litigation in the future. The court can decide whether you are a tenant, retiree/tenant or tenant who is covered by the Boarding Houses Act 2012. If you take legal action, a lessor or janitor may decide a dispute in the conciliation process in court without a full hearing to decide your legal status.